Friday 31 May 2013

Compounds

Compound 1

Up to yet I have had two experiences of compounds and if I am honest have not been overly impressed. 
Compounds are a little like Fort Knox well the first one is.....We drive down a deserted desert type road which is edged with high barbed wire fences and the a few military looking men parading around.  From the outside it looks like an army barracks.
We enter through two security checkpoints and then into a small room where our names have been put on a list.  You cannot just enter these places at your own free will.  You have to know someone that lives inside.  We hand over our passport (copy of, in our case), iqama or any documentation you my have if you don't have any of the former and then you are in.
The compound we are visiting today (Fahl) is very close to the airport and from what I have been led to believe is that it houses around 800 people, mainly in 1 or 2 bedroomed apartments and most of them from the Lebanon working in and around Riyadh.  Sometimes the cost of living in the compound is paid for by the employer and cost can vary depending on what the compound has to offer.  We were told that a new compound that had just been built were offering 1 bedroom chalets for around 60,000 riyals (£16,000) per year.
So my first impression once we are inside is that it is pretty much like self catering in Majorca on a big scale.  We are taken on a tour......there are two pools, neither which looks very clean and around them there are lots of people, drinking, smoking cigarettes and shisha and also there are lots of children running round.  There a mini market, restaurant, a library, a small gym and much much more.  It's nothing like the spa which feels very 5* compared to this but I am grateful for the tour and the swim in the not so clean pool.  We are told that some compounds are better than others and that they normally come to life on a Thursday and Friday when they have parties and events for the residents and anyone that can get added to the list.  I am not blown away by the compound to be honest, in fact I was a little disappointed I was just expecting something more but it has made me feel grateful for my accommodation at the spa even if we do have to go with out water for a while.  Two of the girls who live at the spa rave about the compounds and the parties they have here but I still like the quietness of our own little compound where there are only 8 of us and not 800.

Compound 2

My second experience of a compound is an invite to a birthday party.  Valentina's friend, Miguel from Portugal works as an architect for a construction company and it is one of his colleagues 57th birthday.  So as much as I would rather stay home I say that I will go as Valentina wants to go but she doesn't want to go alone and I don't blame her to be honest.  Miguel collects us at 9.35pm and we head over to the compound.  I am expecting it to be the same as last time but I am wrong, it is very different.  We pull up on a side street that looks just like walls with a few metal doors on.  There appears to be nothing here then I notice an Indian man sat in a little booth.  Anyway this is the compound, un-noticeable from the street and once inside, very small.  This compound houses around 40 people, Filipino men and women and also men from the UK.  There is a pool and a bar area with a few rooms off, a social area with a pool table and table tennis and a small gym with a few machines and free weights in.  It all looks very dirty and uninviting to be honest.  We are introduced to James, 57, from Scotland, who is marrying a Filipino that lives in the compound pretty soon after his birthday party who is 24 years of age.....I am not sure whether to say lucky boy or dirty old man!!  He asks if we would like food....."Errr, no thank you" I eye up 5 whole bar b qued fish that are sat on the side of the bar area and a container with rice in.  I am not sure how long this food has been sat there but I don't fancy risking an upset stomach.  Drinks....home made red/white wine (being as alcohol is illegal in this country, however, it can be brought from the embassy's...not sure how that works and everyone makes their own) and Sadiki, not sure what that is but Miguel has advised us to stay well clear of it , he said it was like poison for the kidneys.  I opt for a diet pepsi and Valentina, water!!!  better to be on the safe side.
We are introduced to a few other people, Simon, 44 from Liverpool who looks like he has been through the mill, Derek from Dublin who only knows the word F**K!, the Project Manager from Chesire (his name escapes me) and a few others who I can't remember.  I get the feeling we won't be staying long as we can tell Miguel is feeling uncomfortable for bringing us and the men are like flies around the brown stuff!  They are very drunk and smoking cigarettes like they are going out of fashion.  Anyway, we continue smiling and holding our breath to avoid inhaling all Lambert and Camel!!!!! and the smell of the very potent home made wine and sense that Miguel is now trying to work out our quick exit plan.  Within 5 minutes Miguel tells Jim that we have somewhere else to go.  We thank them all very much, smile politely and just nod when they invite us to next week's birthday party......Compound 2......0 out of 10!!!
Compound 3 (and the final one if it is shit) is yet another party but in a compound that houses British Medical Staff.  Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment