Monday 24 June 2013

One for the ladies

How hard can it be to get a tampon around here???? Anyone would think I was asking for the earth.  Up to yet I have visited 3 supermarkets and one chemist, who by the way must now thing I am a raving lunatic.  He was very intrigued when I started to use hand gestures to describe what a tampon was.  I think he thought I was talking about launching a space rocket and even though he was so engrossed in my demonstration of insertion (try this one for yourself.....describe without talking a tampon and see how you feel) and it not being a pad that he hardly even blinked (I think he was in shock)....his mouth was hanging a little close to the floor I might hasten to add.  I bet he was thinking "Call the men in the white jackets.....we've got one here"  So my next mission is to find tampons in Riyadh.  Valentina informed me that they probably didn't sell them as girls that weren't married should be virgins and maybe inserting something, whatever shape or from may take the title away from them!!!!! but what about the girls/ladies that were married with 6 or more children.......please don't tell me that they are so far behind in this country that they don't sell a bloody tampon......I feel the need to investigate this further.  In the meantime I have to borrow from Valentina who fortunately for me (not her) has not had a period since arriving 4 months ago (sorry Val for disclosing this) and had brought enough sanitary wear to last her a whole year!!
So let's recap.....You can't buy a tampon, that is until Lore, the font of all knowledge, tells me that there are 2 places in the whole of Riyadh where you can buy them 1 is Carrefort (a large supermarket.....a bit like Walmart) that is miles away and Tammimi market which is a 10 minute taxi ride away and sells lots of imported goods.....Hallelulah, I am saved.  I can get some before next month and I must also remember to check why they sell durex for the men to have sex with men but they can't sell a tampon.
I still remained intrigued by the tampon saga so I decided to google it and the result was that before marriage there is a fear that it might break the hymen.....well unless someone was firing it from a catapult from about 2 inches away I would thing this is pretty impossible (but I'm no expert in this field).  It is in the Qur'an about not wearing tampons, well, not in so many words but "al-muddaathhir 74:4"talks about what women should wear during their period and to be honest there is no mention of a tampon and also due to the possibility of toxic shock syndrome it is also condoned in the Qur'an as you are not allowed to do anything that may cause harm to yourself......that rules out doing pretty much anything then as crossing the road outside is more likely to cause harm to you than using a tampon!!!! so there you have it "Allah knows best"
Inserting a tampon is also classed as resembling masturbation and this is frowned upon and disliked.......just for the record I have never once felt like using a tampon to get off on but hey ho, it takes allsorts!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment