Saturday 6 July 2013

All Change Part 3

Told you there was going to be a part 3 and I can feel that this is not quite the end......

Today was pay day.  Edgar is a Filipino guy who does the spa's accounts.  He comes in a few times a week and just by looking at him you can tell that if Hanan says "Jump", he says "How high?"  So at 5pm I go to collect my salary and Lore follows swiftly after.  I go back to the gym to start my next class and then I hear Lore, crying and shouting very loudly...."The F******* Bitch... We all rush to her to find out what is wrong.  Hanan conveniently left early today, obviously to avoid this as when Lore went to collect her salary, Edgar informed her that she didn't have one.  Hanan has said that she didn't/won't complete her contract going by the date that Lore had put on her letter (this is bullshit to be honest as Lore's contract finishes on the 6th of September and due to a forced one month's holiday would not return till the 8th September which is 2 days after her contract ends.)  so her contract will already be finished whilst she is back in England on her holiday.  Lore gave two months notice instead of one so that Hanan had plenty of time to find someone to replace her.......So Hanan deducted the cost of iqama, her return flight ticket home etc....all of this should be included in our employment package but every time when someone leaves she finds away to deduct money (we are convinced that she is putting said monies in her back pocket) and so Lore is left with no salary for the month....To cut a very long story short and because I don't know the exact facts of the story, Lore tried to call Hanan who didn't pick up. Lore refused to teach another class till this was all sorted.  Hanan turned up to speak to Lore (who was in the shower at the time Hanan was knocking on her door so didn't answer).  Hanan went to Reception to tell the Receptionist to contact Lore and inform her that she was not allowed back to work in the spa and was to leave the accommodation in August when her flight was booked.  What is wrong with this crazy place/woman.  Surely when Lore gave Hanan her letter of resignation it would have been much easier to explain to Lore the exact date she was expected to work to in order to qualify for her holiday pay / return flight home / iqama fees etc but no she has to use the power trick and say that she hasn't completed her contract (which is not true) so she has deducted everything.  I could tell you a lot more but this would probably confuse the story.  So the next step for Lore, we are not sure.  We know she has five options:

a) email Hanan asking for a meeting with her to sort out this mess
b) telephone the princess who owns the spa (a client has given her the contact number) and tell her everything
c) go to the British Embassy and tell them everything
d) get the hell out as fast as she can and don't look back
e) all of the above

All of this is so unsettling but one thing is for certain..... I will not be returning in September!!!!  Well I say that and then the same day all this kicks off I receive an email from Jill in Dharhan to let me know that there is a family run office in Jeddah looking for a PA (my previous job...well almost, Data Services Manager but close enough.....doesn't really matter in Saudi....Jill told me you can just lie!!)  My mind shifts from going home to suddenly going to Jeddah even though my head is telling me to not even think about staying a minute longer than necessary.  I send Karen (the lady from the agency) an email explaining my current situation here in Riyadh, my plans for going home unless I am offered something that is too good an opportunity to miss.  I receive an email back asking for my CV and that she will be in touch in due course when she knows more about the position.  Am I crazy????? The same day I receive a message from a friend asking if I will be staying home in September as a gym I had worked for previously wanted me to teach a few classes for them on a Sunday morning.  This is followed by two or three messages from people asking when I would be coming back and if I would be starting up my massage clinic on my return as they wanted to book in.  Now my head is spinning around like you can't imagine.  I know its late but I call Steven to tell him all this.  He reassures me and tells me not to worry or do anything about any of the above just yet....spend a little time thinking it over before I make a decision.
At least I know I have options and my heart will steer my in the right direction, but tonight I just want my normal life back with Steven, the girls, my parents, family and friends....I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

No comments:

Post a Comment