Saturday 6 July 2013

All Change Part 2

There are going to be a few more of the All change blogs as I can't keep up with them. I write a week behind so as I am writing this one, things have already changed but I can't do part 3 without part 2.

So Amera (hairdresser from the spa) has left.  Her notice was cut short by the boss, It went from the end of July, to the end of June and then she was given just 2 days to clear her things from the accommodation (so she never even made it to the end of June)  The boss stopped talking to her and transferred all of her clients and appointments to a new hairdresser that has just been recruited.  Amera was told that she would not be paid her final salary until her iqama (residency card) has been to Amera's brothers sponsorship so that the spa was no longer responsible for her.  This girl had been here 11 years and was treated like this....what chance do we stand?
Lore's plans have changed slightly.  She handed in her notice (well not really notice but a letter informing Hanan that she didn't wish to renew her contract for another year) and all went well (from what we can gather).  Hanan asked if there was anything that would make Lore stay......more money, an extra day off? but to be honest when you are not happy working in a place more money and an extra day off won't make a difference to how you feel about the place.  However, (all change again)  her relationship with Emad is over.  She said he was too possessive and was already insisting that she do as she was told and that she wasn't really allowed to do anything without his permission (Muslim men for you!!).  Anyway, this has paved the way for her admirer, who must now be jumping for joy.  She still plans to move to Al Khobar so hopefully it will all work out for the best for her.
Kedi, Val and myself were called to Hanan's office. We were expecting a telling off for not wearing our abaya when we came from the accommodation to the spa today.  Let me try and explain how far it is from the accommodation to the spa.  From the accommodation to the first gate is around 20 steps, high walls and not visible to the outside world.  The for the next 10 steps the path is concealed by a green hedge, albeit it a little withered and sparse due to the extreme heat and then you have three steps to take where there is no hedge and no wall and is visible to any driver that might be dropping his client off at the gym......other than that you still cannot be seen by anyone that is not actually on the spa drive at that exact time that you take those three steps.  Now these 3 steps are very important let me tell you.....if you are seen walking these 3 steps showing a shoulder or an ankle then you are in the office faster than you can say "Jack Robinson".  So this is what happened.  We are called in to see Hanan and then the praise sandwich begins with Hanan talking about Ramadam working hours and that we shouldn't worry about anything.  She tells us that the gym will probably be quiet and when we don't have classes that we can relax and in our break we can sit by the pool (now you're talking) and even though it is a 1am finish, there will be 11 hours albeit it sleeping time before we have to return to work......and then she gets to the real reason why we are there.  "Who took the three steps of doom (she didn't say exactly that, but this was what she was referring to) not wearing an abaya at lunchtime today?"  "Hands up" I say "that was me"  I had forgotten something so I quickly ran back to collect it.  I only passed that way once as I chose an alternative route on the way back and she didn't see me.....She informs us that it was not only me once but Val, twice and then Dindo's wife came out in her ripped pyjamas.  Hanan was having a meeting in the office with a Prince, who witnessed all of this.  Well, I almost wet myself trying to hold in the giggles.  So like good girls we agreed not to take the three steps ever again without wearing our abaya!!!!!
Hanan seems to be very nice at the moment but we know that she just wants a full team of instructors back in September.  I am still not sure what I am going to do but I am waiting, like I say every time, to see how I feel about things when I go home in August.  This last week I have missed being with Steven and my family.  Talking of Steven, he is currently on a short break with some of our friends for a 40th celebration.  This was planned before I left for Saudi in March, so I feel a tinge of sadness that I'm not there.  He has been keeping in regular contact though to let me know what he is up to and reassuring me that all is well.....This is nice, I feel like I have my Steven back.

No comments:

Post a Comment