Tuesday 30 July 2013

Birthday

Wednesday 17th July

Am I really 46?!!!! (not till the 21st) I don't think I feel it, even though I am not really sure what 46 is meant to feel like.  The only signs are when I look in the mirror and see lines and the grey hair but I manage to keep the latter under control....NICE AND EASY!!!
It's Wednesday 17th July and Val and I are invited to Fahl compound to meet Fadi and Miguel for lunch during our 5 hour break (3pm to 8pm).  Lunch! yes, I know its Ramadan and eating is not allowed until 6.45pm...you can even be arrested if you are seen chewing gum but within the confines of your home, in the compound etc as long as you are a non-muslim you can eat during fasting hours. Fahl compound is full to bursting with non-muslims so eating is allowed.  Fadi informed me that men cannot even have sex with their wives during these hours...... he never said they couldn't have sex with anyone else's wife though....joke!!!
The meal we have was typically Arabic/Lebanese and very nice.  I have been pretty adventurous with food whilst being here and have tried many different types of cuisine (Steven won't believe this bit as he thinks I can only survive on chocolate!!).  Then to my surprise, Val has been plotting secretly, I am presented with a birthday cake and gifts.  I was not expecting this, I thought we were just going for lunch....I am overwhelmed.  The guys have been so kind to us since we have been here.  I suddenly feel a tinge of sadness that I am not going to see them again.  Its amazing how quickly in just four months I have a new life, new friends and new experiences, all of which I won't forget.  I am hoping that we will keep in touch and who knows one day meet again.

Friday 19th July

The weather has been very windy and dusty again today to the point that we all have sore eyes. Many Saudi's suffer from respiratory problems due to the weather.   There is sand everywhere, even the pool is full of sand.  It's definitely not the kind of weather you want to sit out in unless you want to look like a sandcastle!!  I spent most of my day off, cleaning and resisting the urge to start packing my bags for my return home.  Three weeks prior to departure is way to early.  Tonight we are going to TGI Fridays, Kedi, May and myself.  Val wasn't feeling up to it and Lore had already paid for a ticket (200 riyals) to go to a compound party.  I still refuse to pay to go to one of these parties as the ones I have attended have been totally rubbish.  Anyway, we arrange to go out at 6.45pm just after the fourth prayer (you can eat at this time as it symbolises the end of the fast) and before the fifth prayer at 8.30pm.  All restaurants are closed during fasting time during Ramadan.
We have a lovely evening , the food is great and we finish it off with a trip to the shopping mall for a little retail therapy.  The only thing that spoils it is the bloody mutawa following you and telling you to cover your hair "Woman!!! cover your hair"  They even follow you into shops and harass you.

Friday 21st July

12am (I hour to go at work) and the girls surprise me with a birthday cake and the "Happy Birthday" song.  I feel very lucky.  I am going to miss these girls.  I know I say it a lot but I have spent the last four months with them, morning, noon and night.....Steven calls me to wish me happy birthday and I sleep feeling happy.

6pm....still on the 21st I speak with my mum, Charlotte and Hannah and some friends.  I may be 4000 miles away but I feel very close to everyone.  It is true when they say people can feel lonely even when they are in a relationship or have their family and friends close to them but for me right now I don't feel lonely I feel in a good place with myself, my feeling and my emotions.  I am ready to go home to see everyone and I know it's going to take a while to adjust but I feel ready.

Let me get you up to date with Lore before I go.  She is still in the accommodation waiting to fly back to England on the 2nd August.  She still has not been given an exit visa or her passport.  She has been offered the job starting in September in Al Khobar but has also been a very busy girl researching gyms and spas in Riyadh, sending her CV and attending interviews.  On the up shot of this she has been offered two more jobs and is also waiting on the response of a third.  So she has options.  The salaries and packages offered at the other spas are pretty much the same as here but on the plus side, they don't have Hanan for a manager.  Lore said they appeared to be very different and one of the companies had an English Manager.  She did say that when she told them her reasons for leaving Yibreen Spa, they were appalled at what had been happening . So whatever happens, Lore is coming back to Riyadh in september (when she has decided which offer she will accept).  She should feel proud of herself because even when the chips were down she never gave in.  She told me that if I felt I wanted to return that I would easily get a job at any of the spas or gyms in Riyadh (they love English Instructor) as now they were replacing all freelance instructors and employing full timers due to the iqama situation.  For now I just want to go home but I know the door is open for me if I want to come back.  You can only plan what happens in your life to a certain extent.....like what time you get up and what you eat for lunch but the rest of it....well!!!! so just try and live it and enjoy!! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment